Friday, February 15, 2013

A Paleo Valentine

When my newest issue of "Cooking Light" magazine arrived yesterday, I was elated...as I had been looking for inspiration for something to cook for our Valentine's meal.  My hope was that I wouldn't have to make a trip to the market and that I would be able to make my little Paleo alterations.  

SUCCESS!  Not many pages into the issue I stumbled upon the Pork Chops with Tangy Red Currant Sauce.  I actually had pork chops defrosting in the fridge (although I wish they had been the thick cut chops).  While I didn't have any Red Currant Jelly, I did have Blueberry Jalapeno Preserves and decided that would be a great substitution.  Pairing the Chops with Mashed Cauliflower - the inspiration was born. 


Ingredients: 
1/2 C White Onion, chopped 
2 cloves Garlic, minced 
1/3 C Chicken Stock 
2 T Agave Nectar (+ 1 T Honey) 
2 T Blueberry Jalapeno Preserves 
1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar 
1 1/2 T grated Lemon Zest 
4 Thick-cut Butterfly Pork Chops 
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper 
1/4 tsp Sea Salt

NOTE:  I added 1 T Honey to the sauce mixture as it was boiling because I was afraid the sauce was too Vinegary. 

Place a saucepan over medium heat, coat pan with 1 T. Bacon Drippings.  Add onion and 1 T garlic; sweat onions and garlic about 4 minutes.  Add chicken stock and cook until the liquid is almost evaporated.  Add Agave, honey and preserves; bring to a boil.  Cook 1 minute.  Add vinegar and return to a boil cooking until mostly reduced. 

Heat a large skillet, melt 1 T bacon drippings.  Combine Garlic and Lemon Zest and apply evenly over Pork Chops.  Salt and Pepper to taste.  Cook Pork to desired degree of doneness.  Remove from pan and let stand - apply glaze over the pork prior to serving.  

Serve pork alongside mashed cauliflower. 


No comments: